This profound textual content is anxious with the philosophy and perform often called Kashmir Shaivism. as a result of its dimension and scope it's a veritable encyclopedia of non-dual Shaivism.
Why was once the Tantraloka written? In solution to this query Abhinavagupta tells us that, even supposing within the colleges of Kashmir Shaivism there are various exceptional and critical methods and techniques for achieving the ideal fact, but in his time no longer even one was once nonetheless current. All of these methods and strategies have been misplaced. it really is consequently that he was once asked via his colleagues and disciples to create a textual content that will remove darkness from and make clear all of those methods and techniques of Kashmir Shaivism. to complete this, Abhinavagupta composed the Tantraloka, a textual content, which he tells us is full of the complete explanation of the methods and techniques linked to Kashmir Shaivism. that's to claim that the philosophical figuring out at the point of the mind could have been present, however the genuine sensible capacity or how to be used to achieve the ideal fact – oneness with common Being – to which all of them pointed was once misplaced. Abhinavagupta used to be cause, for this reason, to restore the genuine figuring out of those extremely important teachings, to make the practices that they embodied reside back. For what's the use of a map when you have no method to succeed in the vacation spot? hence, Abhinavagupta gave us the Tantraloka to therapy this situation.
The Tantraloka consists of thirty seven chapters (ahnikas). each one bankruptcy has it’s personal specific subject. during this current quantity – bankruptcy one – Abhinavagupta lays the basis for the remainder of his Tantraloka.
Here are the various themes Abhinavagupta examines within the first chapter:
• The vital Masters of the colleges of Kashmir Shaivism.
• The differentiated notion of the entire capacity and strategies (upayas).
• The distinction among wisdom, lack of awareness and liberation.
• The essence of what's to be famous, i.e., the genuine item to be known.
• The oneness of Shiva and His power (Shakti).
• Introduction to the skill and techniques (upāya) for reaching complete and natural wisdom the place you understand your nature as one with the universe.
• True liberation in Kashmir Shaivism.
• A dialogue of the 4 states of skill (upayas).
• Three adaptations of absorption or trance (samavesha) as pointed out within the Malinivijaya Tantra.
• The contents of every of the thirty seven chapters of Tantraloka.